Skills, Tests, Achievement, Recognition – this is what STARSkate is all about!
The Intermediate Skate Canada STARSkate program combines private lessons along with group lessons. In the absence of a formal lesson, skaters are expected to practice independently and safely. Skate Canada Test days are held on specific days throughout the season and the nationally standardized tests are taken at the discretion of the skater and his/her private coach. Additional fees apply. Please note that because of judge and ice availability Test Days are held during the daytime.
Selecting a private coach - Arrangements for private and semi-private lessons are made directly between the skater’s family and the professional coach. Please refer to our website to see a listing of our private coaches and their qualifications.
When selecting a private coach skating families should consider the following:
- Availability – does the coach have time during the day and session you require?
- What are the skater’s objectives and how many lessons per week are needed to achieve these goals?
- Fees – how much does the coach charge per 15 minute lesson? Consider a semi-private lesson.
- Does the coach’s philosophy match that of the skater? Coaches have different strategies with respect to attending competitions or taking tests etc.
- The personalities of the skater and the coach.
- To avoid disappointment, book private lessons well in advance and confirm if you are returning for another season.
Please note that no fathers/adult males/ male siblings are allowed in the Intermediate girls’ dressing room due to the range of ages in this group and our need to guarantee their privacy when changing. For fathers who need to assist a child, there is a Family Dressing Room available.
Skating Attire - Girls: skating dresses/skirts or close fitting athletic pants/leggings. Boys: skating pants with stretchy material. No jeans or other restrictive clothing (street wear) allowed on the ice. All long hair should be tied back.
All members of a Skate Canada sanctioned club pay an annual registration fee that registers them as a member of the National Skate Canada organization. This non-refundable fee is included in your program registration charge.
All Club information is communicated by email and will be on our website. Please make sure the office has the email address that you check often. Please contact the office with any questions or concerns.
The Stouffville Skating Club regrets we are unable to offer makeup classes when a skater is away due to illness, vacation or injury or due to unforeseen cancelled sessions (i.e. inclement weather).